Saturday, June 27, 2015

Global journey, part two

I've been back in the country for a little over a week, enough time to do some laundry, get over jet lag, have a few meetings, and get ready for the next leg in this global research journey. This time, I'm headed south, first to Guatemala and then to Nicaragua. In each country, I'll be meeting with leaders in the Lutheran Churches there, listening and learning how they lift up and prepare lay leaders for their growing ministries. I will be conducting many interviews, using the same questions that I asked the leaders in Tanzania, and I hope to learn what helps to develop strong and faithful leaders.
I've also learned that, in both countries, I'll be doing some teaching as well. In Guatemala, the Lutheran church there gathers leaders from its 17 different congregations at the Lutheran Center near Guatemala City five times a year for classes and meetings. During this retreat, which runs from July 4-7, they've asked me to lead a day-long seminar on conflict resolution, as well as introducing the Academia Ecumenica curriculum developed by the LEAD organization in Texas (www.waytolead.org).
I've also finalized my plans with the Lutheran Church in Nicaragua, where I will be from July 10-17. I'll be spending time in Managua, Somoto, and Somotillo, again interviewing leaders, observing some classes, and leading some, as well. While Stephen Deal (the ELCA's Regional Representative for Central Ameria) told me to "be ready for anything," it sounds like I'll be leading at least one session on "Lutheran identity" and another session with youth and adult confirmands on the meaning of baptism for daily living.

To be honest, I'm both excited and anxious as I sit here in the Houston airport, awaiting our flight to Guatemala (my wife Lynn and daughter Sarah are traveling with me, as they will be studying at a language school in Antigua for the three weeks). I'm excited to be able to use my Spanish again, to meet some new people and experience once again the energy and vitality of God's global church. I'm excited for my daughter to experience this part of the world that has meant so much to me over the years. I'm also wondering how I'll fill six hours on conflict resolution in a way that is both helpful and engaging, I'm hoping that my Spanish and my spirit will hold up in the long hours and humid nights of Nicaragua, and I'm anxious about managing all the connections and relationships that will fill these weeks.

Once again, though, my primary emotion is one of gratitude. I'm just grateful to have these opportunities, and for the ways that my life and my work will be enriched by them. Thanks also for your prayers, and I'll keep you posted as things progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment